This is intended to be a homage to very many musicians I've loved since I started listening to music. My intention is to tell what I know about them, hoping that those people who like them too, will help me fill numerous gaps, which I may have in their careers and discographies. Sorry, but there are no MP3 audio files here at all, just info (and love for the musicians).


Musicians Index - Bands Index - What's new - Obituaries - Guestbook - My Reviews - Books

HiStats

Thursday 22 July 2010

Lyle Jenkins (sax / flute)


BANDS:
  • Norman Dovey´s Jump Band
  • Tommy Burton´s Hot House Band
  • Galliard [1969]
  • Keef Hartley Band [?-Dec 70]
  • Ashton Gardner & Dyke [1971]
  • Ramshackle [1972]
  • The Stateside Stompers
  • Tony Barry & The Steamers
  • The City Slickers

BIOGRAPHY:

Great sax player (also playing flute), Lyle Jenkins was born in Oxford on November 18th, 1937 and brought up in Birmingham.

Lyle Jenkins



FIRST BANDS...


He played in several local bands, such as Norman Dovey´s Jump Band or Tommy Burton´s Hot House Band, but I don't have more info about lineups or periods.


GALLIARD


Around 1969, Lyle Jenkins replaced John Smith:

GALLIARD #?
1969-1970
Geoff Brown
vocals, guitar
Richard Pannell
guitar
Andrew Abbott
bass
Leslie Podraza
drums
+ maybe others, unknown to me.

They released their second album, New dawn.

But Caswell and Jenkins left a bit later. The band carried on for a while, but it soon folded.


KEEF HARTLEY BAND


When they were recording their third album, The time is near, Lowther and Jewell leave the band:

KEEF HARTLEY BAND #6
?
Miller Anderson
guitar, vocals
Gary Thain
bass
Mick Weaver
keyboards
Keef Hartley
drums

Dino Dines comes back to the band for a while:

KEEF HARTLEY BAND #7
?-Dec 70
Miller Anderson
guitar, vocals
Gary Thain
bass
Dino Dines
keyboards
Keef Hartley
drums

But the new members don't stay long time in the band, and they leave the band in December 1970, after recording some superb sessions for BBC Radio 1.


ASHTON GARDNER & DYKE


Ashton Gardner & Dyke


Although the name indicates the band is a trio, they were augmented up to a septet for live concerts, with a fantastic horn section and Mick Liber on guitar:

ASHTON GARDNER & DYKE #?
1971
êGalliard
êGalliard
Tony Ashton
vocals, keyboards
Kim Gardner
bass
Roy Dyke
drums
+
Mick Liber
guitar
John Mumford
trombone

In 2001, a live album was released Let it roll - Live 1971.

Lyle Jenkins (while in Ashton Gardner & Dyke)



RAMSHACKLE


Around 1972, drummer Phil Little formed a new band, loosely called Ramshackle:

RAMSHACKLE #?
1972
Mick ?
guitar
Dennis Cowan
bass
Phil Little
drums
+ another horn player, unknown to me.

They recorded some material, but never gigged. Jenkins and Caswell soon left.

Can someone tell me the name of the missing members, please?

AND THEN...


And, sadly, I haven't been able to find more info on Lyle Jenkins, except for a few sessions, usually shared with Dave Caswell. Has anybody got any clue about his musical career after that, please?


THE STATESIDE STOMPERS


The only info I got was an ad for a band called The Stateside Stompers, and they had a sax player called Lyle Jenkins, around year 2000. I guess they're the same person, but I can't be sure.

This was The Stateside Stompers around year 2000:

THE STATESIDE STOMPERS #?
2000?
Malcolm Harrison
guitar, banjo
Adam Precious
bass
Steve Higgins
keyboards, vocals
Robin Smith
trumpet
John Gowers
clarinet, vocals
Bill Boston
sax, clarinet
Peter Hodge
trombone
Andy Grappy
tuba
Bobby Worth
drums


MORE...



Other bands where he has been involved are: Tony Barry & The Steamers, and The City Slickers, but I can't find details. Help, please.

DISCOGRAPHY: (9 albums known to me - Status: Quite advanced)

ALBUMS AS A BAND MEMBER (6 credits)
  • New dawn - Galliard (1970)

  • The Time is near... - Keef Hartley Band (08/1970)

  • Overdog - Keef Hartley Band (04/1971)

    • Members: Miller Anderson, Dave Caswell, Lyle Jenkins, Ingrid Thomas, Mick Weaver (RIP: Dino Dines, Keef Hartley, Gary Thain)
    • Guests: Jon Hiseman (RIP: Johnny Almond)
    • Producer: Neil Slaven
    • Technical: Roy Thomas Baker, Robin Black, John Punter
    • Comments: Recorded during October 1970 to January 1971. The tracks from 1970 contain ex-members Dave Caswell, Lyle Jenkins and Dino Dines, who left the band in December, but the new band is Hartley, Anderson, Thain and Weaver.
  • What a bloody long day it´s been - Ashton Gardner Dyke & Co (1972)

    • Members: Dave Caswell, Roy Dyke, Lyle Jenkins, Mick Liber, John Mumford (RIP: Tony Ashton, Kim Gardner)
    • Guests: Jon Lord
  • The Last rebel - Ashton Gardner & Dyke (1973)

  • Let it roll - Live 1971 - Ashton Gardner & Dyke (05/2001)

    • Members: Dave Caswell, Roy Dyke, Lyle Jenkins, Mick Liber, John Mumford (RIP: Tony Ashton, Kim Gardner)
    • Comments: Recorded live in 1971 (as the title suggests), but first released in 2001.
SESSIONS (3 credits)
  • And a cast of thousands - Leigh Stephens (06/1970)

    • Members: Leigh Stephens
    • Guests: Bob Andrews, Aliki Ashman, Dave Caswell, Glenn Cornick, Roy Dyke, David Jackson, Lyle Jenkins, Noel Norris, Geoff Peach, Dave Quincy, Peter Ross, Pete Sears (RIP: Tony Ashton, Kim Gardner, Dick Morrissey, Micky Waller, Kevin Westlake)
  • Silverhead - Silverhead (1972)

    • Members: Rod Davies, Michael Des Barres, Stevie Forest, Pete Thompson
    • Guests: Dave Caswell, Mick Hodgkinson, Lyle Jenkins, John Mumford
    • Producer: Martin Birch
    • Comments: CD reissue contains 2 bonus tracks.
  • Bananamour - Kevin Ayers (05/1973)

    • Members: Kevin Ayers, Steve Hillage, Mike Ratledge, Eddie Sparrow, Robert Wyatt (RIP: David Bedford, Archie Legget)
    • Guests: Howie Casey, Dave Caswell, Tristan Fry, Lyle Jenkins, Barry St John, Liza Strike (RIP: Doris Troy)

QUESTIONS:

01. Has Lyle played with Roy Wood in the early days?

02. Does Lyle play in the live album Not foolish, not wise by Keef Hartley Band?


RELATED WEBSITE LINKS: 9


From the always interesting Alex's Picks (by Alex Gitlin), we have:

From the superb site Knights in Blue Denim: The British Blues Scene '68 - '70 (by Christer Fridhammar & Vanja), we have:

Wikipedia doesn´t want to include links to this website, but I won´t do the same with them. So, from the great Wikipedia, we have:

Assorted links:

THANKS:

Very Special Thanks to:
  • Debbie Jenkins: for writing.
  • Mick Liber: for info on Ashton Gardner & Dyke.
  • Leslie Podraza: for info on Galliard.
  • Phil Little: for info on Ramshackle.

  • Special Thanks to:
  • Judi James: for writing me.

  • Thanks to:
  • Alex Gitlin: for accepting Galliard as a candidate for his fantastic Picks, as well as for scans.
  • Richard Powell: for info on Galliard.
  • David Hunter: for his memories of a Keef Hartley Band gig.
  • Judi Locke: for info on Lyle.
  • Brian Marsh: for info.

  • Also thanks for writing to:
  • Trevor Emeny.

  • WHAT'S NEW:

    22/July/2010 - Page added to the blog.
    04/April/2002 - Original page written by me (in the old site).

    RELATED MUSICIANS:

    Lyle Jenkins mostly worked with these musicians: (name + number of credits)
    Dave Caswell (9)
    Tony Ashton (4)
    Roy Dyke (4)
    Kim Gardner (4)
    John Mumford (4)
    Mick Liber (3)
    Miller Anderson (2)
    Paschal Byrne (2)
    Keef Hartley (2)
    Neil Slaven (2)

    Page created by Miguel Terol on: 04/April/2002 - Last modified on: 28/November/2011. If you want to contribute with info, please write to: molympus1@gmail.com

    Please, note than you can check the indexes (musicians, bands, obituaries) at the top of this page.

    9 comments:

    1. Lyle is my uncle- I've just googled his name to find out more info as he is so modest about his career. I was thrilled to come across this!
      Maybe we'll have to try and get him to fill in a bit more detail.....

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This comment has been removed by the author.

        Delete
      2. Hi Sue
        Lyle is my Grandfathers (Cyril Faulks) nephew. I loved hearing his stories and especially his comments after our first wedding dance (it was the time warp - which tickled him pink as he then announced he was on the original tour and instantly became super cool with my in laws). I'm coming up to Ilford in the next few weeks and if you're there too it would be great to say hi in person
        Liz Stanley

        Delete
      3. Lyle taught me clarinet in valentines high school. Rip and sad news od his passing. He was a character.

        Delete
    2. I played with Lyle quite a few times in a band [a la Tim Hinckley's Heroes type deal] between engagements in and around north east London and Essex - can't remember too many details, but guitarist Roger Saunders [Freedom, Telstar, Glitter Band] sort of formed it while he and his missus Linda Lewis were between gigs and sessions. Linda was [and probably still] is a gorgeous and fabulous soul/jazz singer.

      I played piano, organ, harmonic and aalto sax - Lyle was as usual on baritone sax. This was in the heady and oppressive 1980's days of Margaret Thartcher's darkest reign. Lyle would often stop slap bang in the middle of a song, and disclaim in his black country voice "Fookin Maggaiy!"

      Cheers
      Chris

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am lucky enough to have lyle as my sax teacher and i must say he is one of the best teachers i have ever had for a musical instrument. He is a real inspiration to me and my playing.I just hope one day i can be nearly as good as him.

      Daniel Moore

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I knew Lyle for a brief time I guess, and I am Dennis Cowan, formerly of The Grunt Band, Vecchio, Zeus, Rocky Horror Show and Steve Marriott's All Stars etc. I was the bassist in the short-lived Ramshackle,-- and the other horn player was John Malam, Mick ODonnel was the guitarist....and occasionally Christine Green was on vocals. Lyle was a good pal and we went off on all sorts, ending up at Landsdowne Studios with Roy Wood during the making of 'Boulders'....We also did a single for Pye Records for a TV Comedian Dave Armour...which didn't really do well. I met Lyle while I was at Island Records doing some tracks on an album called Bullfrog with David Bowie, even though I was supposed to be doing an album with Terry Smith of T2....I'm not sure if Lyle was with me on those sessions...it is possible...I still have the wooden carved figures he gave to me as a pressie....and I lost him shortly after...I tried the Facebook Lyle Jenkins, but it didn't do anything, so I might have got the wrong one...if his neice reads this contact me at Cree8 Records on hotmail dot co uk...I run a record label now....my second one... so I'm still in the business.

        Delete
      2. Hi, Dennis - thanks a lot for your info. I'm Miguel, the webmaster. Please, if you want, write me to molympus1@gmail.com, I'd like to ask you some questions about Ian Wallace or your stay with Steve Marriott. Thanks a lot in advance.

        Delete
    4. Lyle was my sax teacher, and I am very sad to hear about his passing. He inspired me to become a pro sax player and educator and 30 years I still try to bring his passion and humour to my own teaching.

      ReplyDelete

    Blog Archive